Followers

Sunday, April 8, 2012

KOREAN MUSIC: Lee Hayi of SBS’s “K-Pop Star” (8)

케이팝 스타: 이하이 (Lee Hayi, or Lee Ha Yi)


Lee Hayi:  "K-Pop Star"
Keyshia Cole: "Love" (aired on 04/08/2012)
Longer Version with Judges' Comments


I can’t stand when someone sings a song off-key the whole time (or even most of the time).  I don’t mean, off-key “for a few notes” here.  In that sense, Hayi “technically” stood out from the rest of the contestants tonight.  Honestly, I didn't quite get why the judges raved about how good the other contestants sang.  They didn't even point out they sang off-key.  Perhaps I'm being a little too anal though. (BTW, YG picked Hayi.  Yang Hyun Suk said he’d been waiting too long for that moment prior to her casting.)

Here’s what the judges said:

BoA:  (To Hayi) You're a really good singer!  How come you sing that well?  You'd trained with SM last week and with JYP this week, and I think you fit in nicely with (the style of) JYP.  It was really nice watching/listening to you perform – it was like the Hayi we used to know was back!  But I’m sorry that you sang in monotonous tones the whole time except the final climax.   Except that, you delivered a great performance.  (93 out of 100) 

Yang Hyun Suk (or Yang Hyeonseok): (To Hayi)  I’ve listened to Keyshia Cole’s “Love” so many times so far as it is one of my top 3 favorites of all songs.  And honestly, I was really surprised when I heard you were going to sing this song; for I thought it was Park Jimin who would sing it really good.  But what I like the most about your performance tonight was you sang the song really well without copying its original singer.  Your low-pitched voice was soooo attractive.  I don’t know where Park Jimin will end up (among JYP, SM, and YG) for the next round, but I think it’ll probably be fun for TV viewers (and live studio audience) to watch/listen to her sing the same song, I mean, just for kicks.  Anyway, you did great today.  (93 out of 100)

Park Jin Young (or Park Jinyeong):  I guess some of you TV viewers (and live (gymnasium) audience) will probably be wondering why these two judges (respectively) gave Hayi 93 points.  Some of you might think her performance doesn’t deserve as high of scores as it got.  But I’ll tell you what. This song is really difficult to sing, and these judges know it.  It’s truly hard even for very talented professional singers to sing. While singing this song, you gotta bounce to the rhythm, lend your soul (to the song), and sing some adlibs (on a song)….  It’s really a challenging song.  And that’s why the tones of Hayi’s voice got somehow monotonous as Boa pointed out. (To Hayi)  Ah!  I really, really liked your performance:  The quality and texture in your low-pitched voice, a feeling of soulfulness….  I really loved it.  You did great.  (93 out of 100)


Pictures of the Day:  Hayi and Jimin are jumping for joy,
congratulating each other on their survival on "K-Pop Star."


KOREAN MUSIC: Lee Hayi of SBS's K-Pop Star (7) 
KOREAN MUSIC: Lee Hayi of SBS's K-Pop Star (9)

28 comments:

  1. Hi! I really like your blog, thanks for translating the comments of the judges. So you are saying that Lee ha yi sang off key the song or not? Sorry i didn't understand well that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I'm sorry! I may have not made myself clear. I meant Hayi was the only one who "did not" sing (maybe a little) off-key. I have just added further explanation. And thank you for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your translation about Lee Ha Yi. I am one of her fan club. I watched her singing every week even though I don't know Korean Language. I keep reading your blog the next day after this program ended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TA TA, thank you for visiting my blog. And I'm beginning to be really amazed to see Hayi's popularity spread to other parts of the world even before her professional debut. Yay~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suppose that you are one of the judges and that you casted Lee Hayi. What song would you let her sing?
    I really think Michael Buble's feeling good or Summer Time by Ella Fitzgerald would be perfect for her. I look forward to seeing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather see her sing original Korean songs but how about the great Nina Simone?: "Everything Must Change" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yU9WHTWzE0 and here's also Nina's rendition of "Feeling Good" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRX-8SXOs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the translation again :).
    I think what Hayi lacks is immersion into the song. She looks very much in concentration, but not in the lyrics. Maybe because they are in English?

    Again, if I don't see the video and just listens, it's awesome.

    Can you help explain to me the casting system though? I'm not really sure how they do this. Do they still eliminate based on score? or by who didn't get casted?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scoring process for the live performances is weighted 60 percent to judges’ scores and 40 percent to popular vote. This means the judges' scores have more impact than the TV viewers' votes. This sytem was made to avoid a popularity contest and be a real talent competition. But K-pop Star's scoring process hasn't been working either since the casting system started. Before the casting system was introduced, the judges freely gave low scores, sometimes even hovering around 70's or low 80's. But they don't do it any more because if they do it, it's like they're giving each other low scores, hence, kind of attacking each other's training system or something like that. Consequently, this leads to yet another popularity contest: For example, Park Jin Young said Lee Michelle was eliminated because she had done so poor with the popular vote. But in fact, she had to go home because the judges placed her fourth only by 4 point margin over Lee Seunghoon.

    BTW, the judges cast the contestants, knowing who's going home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the explanation, but I need to reconfirm if I understand this correctly.

    You mentioned Michelle went home because she was 4th place, but why didn't the 5th place person go home? Isn't it because of the audience vote like JYP said?

    I agree that the casting system skewed the competition. It already showed in the earlier rounds when they first introduced it. Judges would take crticism to the contestant personally. It's ridiculous.

    Don't forget to check out the studio LOVE version and let us know what you think :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lK5l15VjEk&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle received great reviews from the judges, yet she garnered 270 points out of 300 (90 from each judge). Seunghoon was severely criticized by BoA and Park Jin Young but still received really high marks from them (88 points each). The marks were relatively very high compared to Michelle's. To top if off, Yang Hyun Suk said he would gift him with two more points (90 out of 100) because he had worked so hard preparing for the night's performance. This was how Seunghoon came in fifth behind Michelle by only 4 point margin. The judges have been criticized by critics for making lame excuses that it was viewers' choice to let Michelle go. Given that 60 percent of the judges' score is reflected in the result, they should've given him the score that truly reflected his performance that night, not almost the same score as Michelle's. That's why she was eliminated by the popular vote even after winning the 4th place over Seunghoon "in terms of judges' score."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see, thanks for the explanation :)!!

    Hoping YG will bring out the great in her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your translations, love it. Hayi is one of my favorite, as she is genuine. I was wondering what Michelle Lee said as her farewell. It seem so sad in the beginning of her part just before she sang, I guess it was about her family life??
    Thanks for all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  13. If the popular vote were not been count in the first live performance, Lee Ha Yi would have been out before casting system. As I recalled , she got low score. The popular vote gab between Park Ji Min and her was closer after last competition. I just worry about Lee Ha Yi. Someone said she need the killer song to touch audience'heart. Fighting Lee Ha Yi!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard popular vote gap between Park Ji Min and Lee Ha Yi was closer after last live performance. Someone said Lee Ha Yi need the killer song to get audience'hearts once. These Sway & Love song still are not that one.

    Anyway, Lee Ha Yi fighting !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to watch Michelle's part again. I'll let you know what was her last words. But prior to her performance, it was mostly about her personality and her bygone love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. TA TA, I guess it's because the majority of the people who rooted for those who were already booted off have jumped into the Jimin boat? Strangely, I don't really care because "only" Hayi never bores me and my friends. I'm sure she will make it to the final and will definitely deliver. And that's what matters most. Winning the title wouldn't hurt though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope she can make it too, but exciting every time when Judges started casting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ta Ta, we have about four weeks to go until the season ends, right? Just can't wait! Go for it, Hayi!

    Dear Anonymous, I'll blog about Michelle's story later. Please bear with me till then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your posts.. i finally can understand wat the judges said. too bad i cannot vote online!! the votes only differs by 7% now

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you mean Hayi leads by a margin of 7% in pre-voting? BTW, widya, welcome to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. yup..hayi 33% jimin 26% ahyeon 23% and seunghun 19% . she was 10% ahead last week sigh

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see.... It's getting more exciting. Well, I'd better call my sister in Korea and ask her to vote for Hayi, haha....

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi! haha, i cant wait for you to translate the latest performance.:) I hope you could please translate the part she was with T.O.P. too! It looked akwkardly funny.:D Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for explaining and recapping :) So there's only one post about Michelle? :( I'm really curious about what the judges have said after her performances, before the last one when she was eliminated. I'll keep searching in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. JYP said Michelle had paid too much attention to technical aspects of her singing, so her performances had always ended up something like "all technique and no emotion." But that night, he said, she had eventually radiated so much feeling even though she had made quite many mistakes instead. He said she had pulled off delivering the best of all her performances. YG and BoA commented in a similar vein.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hiks hiks hiks this video isn't available / cant open / cant see in indonesia. where can I find it. really want to see lee hayi sing "love" live at kpop star. HEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP

    (sorry, my english is bad hehehe)

    heeeeellllp

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amilia, would you give try at this link? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QzGinZBW1s

    ReplyDelete

REPORT VIDEO ERRORS: If any of the videos uploaded here is no longer available, please report it in the comment so that it can be fixed or replaced.